Pages

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Ode to my Childhood Home

It has been an emotional month for me. 
My mother sold the house I grew up in and started the process of moving into town.
I couldn't be happier for her and am in love with her new home.  The laundry room, the sun room, and the cool light fixtures are all things I would design for my dream home.
But leaving a place you've known as "home" your entire life isn't easy. 
My husband reminds me that it is just a house though.  It isn't my mom, it isn't the memories, 
we are only leaving behind the physical address.  
In fact most of the "stuff" in the house is moving with her. 
Don't know where it is all going to go, but it is packed up.
A home isn't a single address on a map, it is wherever the people you love are.
So this post is my "Ode to My Childhood Home".
The memories, the laughter, the family gatherings, and the love we had in that home for over 40 years.  
 The kitchen, always the most used room in a home, holds many memories of holiday meals and home cooked meals. 
So many birthdays were celebrated there, so many candles blown out.  



The house has changed looks over the years.  
The plaid wallpaper has been replaced, the orange/brown carpeting has been updated, the main bath no longer has a pea green bathtub, and even the Christmas tree has gotten a face lift. 
The family has really grown in this house too! 
12 grandkids who have loved going to Grandma's house.
   
  I have to be honest though, some of the hard part of leaving the house, is dad's presence there.
I walk in the front door and picture my dad sitting in the mauve chair in the living room reading a newspaper.
I see dad tinkering around with another project at his workbench in the garage.
I walk into my parent's bathroom and see my dad at the sink shaving.
 
Keeping this residence doesn't make these memories anymore real.
I will always be able to hear his laugh and picture his smile, no matter
whether my mom lives in this house or not.


So Sunday I said good-bye to the house, not the memories. 
The memories I hold onto and start making new memories at 
my mom's new house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment